Thursday, September 3, 2009

Did somebody say Nazi scalping? Let me get my pants on

Ok so here we go, new format. Instead of me trying hard to think of situations that happen to me during the day and make them interesting (how do I make spilling milk on me seem like a life changing event?), I'm going to write about what I know. Controlled Thermal Nuclear Fusion and how to harness the energy of the stars. Wait….what did I just say, I blacked out…oh god I think I threw up. I know movies, books and TV. So let’s do this, follow me.

::were walking were walking::

So last week everything was just coming up Drew (I'm so cool I talk about myself in the first person). Not when it comes to important things, work sucked, I didn’t meet a nice women and I think my nephew is anti-Semitic, but when it comes to hobbies….boom, nailed it. Three amazing things were thrust into my life last week, one movie, one book and one album. I can not rank them in any order, they were all amazing. Let me put it this way, all of them were 7 gabillion times better then Rachel Getting Married, if that helps (And there is my Rachel Getting Married review, if I want to spend 2 hours watching a messed up family and alcohol issues ill go home on a Tuesday).

We will start with the album, Imogen Heap’s Ellipse. Wow wow wee wa wow (said like Borat). You should first know that I like all types of music, all types. I go from listening to Method Man/ Redman in my car to Dixie Chicks at work to Coheed and Cambria (my fav band) when I get home. It’s always more about the music and lyrics then the genre to me. Singers like Imogen Heap and PJ Harvey always seem to find there way onto my IPod, basically because I go see modern dance pieces my sister is in and that’s the type of music they dance to. So I wanted this album and lucky for me my brother in law got a burnt copy at work and gave it to me. Well I might have listened to the album for more hours then I have slept in the last week (not hard for an insomniac to pull off). It’s just sick, her voice is calming and interesting, the beats are hypnotic and the lyrics are hilarious and brilliant. What else can you ask for, this album would only be better if every time I put it on she came and rubbed my back while I was listening (really a back rub should be sold with more things, Big League Chew would still be huge if someone rubbed my back for every pack I bought). If you have never heard her, download Little Bird and listen/weep. If you have, this is her best work so far (No really, I mean if Mrs. Dash was sold with a back rub, that shit would be on all my food….and my clothes). Ok too much, let’s move on

::were walking were walking::

Sometimes movies are great because the movie is just great, sometimes its great because of the state of mind you are in. This goes the same with movies that suck, sometimes they just suck (Rachel Getting Married) and sometimes the first time you see it you're just not in the mood to laugh (The Passion of the Christ). I find that going to see a movie whilst hung-over always gets me in a great mood, especially when it has gratuitous violence. This is the situation I found myself in on Sunday then I went and saw Inglorious Basterds. Now if you don’t like Tarantino, then this movie is not going to do it for you. This movie combines all the sweet little nuances that have made QT’s movies so unique. The music of Kill Bill, the violence of Pulp Fiction, the Mexican standoff tension of Reservoir Dogs and the campiness (word?) of Death Proof. If the theater wasn’t so crowded I might have actually touched myself watching it because of its awesomeness. Now some of you Nazi sympathizers (I'm looking at you godson) might not like the scalping of your comrades (I think I'm mixing extreme political views), but I say to you….really, you’re a Nazi sympathizer, get over it, it was like 20 years ago (timelines, my Achilles heel). This movie gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from yours truly.

Side note, I went to see the movie with my bud Koey and we have the ability to return to our 14 year old self’s when we hang out. This is only exacerbated by the fact that you’re supposed to be quite in a theater. So if you were in that theater and wondering why we were giggling like little girls, I’ll tell you. Koey told me the end of a movie, and then proceeded to say SPOILER ALERT when he was done. I told him he did it backwards, he is supposed to say spoiler alert first and let me decide if I want to hear it. Something about that short conversation struck us both 14 yr old funny, cause damn if we didn’t giggle through all the previews. One of those previews was for (that’s what the people in the biz call a segue)…..

…..Shutter Island!!!! Whew, just writing it gives me strange thoughts. Being a chronic insomniac, there are certain things you should not do: don’t eat late, don’t have a TV in your room, and above everything, do not read books that have to do with people having issues while sleeping (are these the same rules for mogui? Gremlins references, where else do you get them?). My sister and brother in law both read the book and knowing my sleeping issues warned me, and what did I do, I punched them both in the mouth (you don’t know ME). The bulk of my reading is done at my desk on my short lunch break at work. Commenced reading this book on Tuesday and I had a rough time putting it down. I find that some writers have a knack for constructing pictures with their words that you can easily put into movie form. You can see the movie playing out in your head as you read the book (much easier when you have already viewed a preview and you know which actors are playing the characters in the book…..pops his Leo DiCaprio boner).. Now my sister told me there was a surprise in the book (because she just has to say stuff like that, no matter what you say. Drew did you see Star Trek? No, well there is this par…..its not going to give anything away…..let me just tell you about this one par…….your not going to pour that wine into a glass?).

So The Drew meanders in from a long day of work last Friday and I sit on the couch and my body says, “Perfect”. If you know me at all, staying in on a Friday is a rarity. I’m a social body, I need people and usually on a Friday, copious amounts of booze. For some reason I reached over and picked up Shutter Island……200 pgs later its midnight, I have ignored 15 text and 5 calls, I think people thought I was dead (and yet no one seemed concerned). Man did I feel like I was manipulated by this book, maybe even molested (it’s not the books fault, I was asking for it with my short shorts and belly shirt). It really just kind of sets you up, lulls you into a feeling of uncomfortable comfort and then boom, that hand that was innocently on your knee is not squeezing your junk ( pronounce yunk for you Spanish readers). Usually I pride myself on seeing things coming, in books, in movies, in dodge ball, but this book caught me by surprise and I could not have been happier about it. Needless to say I slept very little that night, just thinking about what I read while icing my down low. If you want a quick read that might find its way into one of the Top 10 books you ever read, Shutter Island is your book (there’s a blurb for your fucking jacket cover Dennis).

Ok that was a lot, probably to much to write for only 3 readers, but that’s as short as I could make it. I’m going to listen to Imogen Heap now and look up support groups for people molested by books.

No comments:

Post a Comment