Saturday, September 12, 2009

Were gonna need a bigger…….screen

What a week I have encountered, what a week. Down at my Sea Isle house until this past Tuesday. Had an amazing time at the Monday Jam w/ Secret Service (the greatest 2 man party band of all time, more to come on them at a later date), with amazing friends and Service-aholics. Tuesday was a long day of cleaning, getting Ma Dukes and Dr. D (my parents who were also in Sea Isle) to make me and my companion for the day, Ladyface, “Girl” cheese, driving, Fantasy Football drafting and then finally home. As luck would have it, I also had Wednesday off, because I got suckered into working Saturday, but still the extra day of rest was nice. Thursday I worked (throws up in pants) and then Friday I was at work for 20 minutes before the power went out, I screamed like a tween and they sent me home. What does all of this have to do with my blog, well…. this week set up to be the mother of all movie watching weeks. “Mother of all” is a strange term, right? Isn’t it? No, you’re just going to ignore me? Fuck you!

Tuesday morning I woke up as I often do: too early, unable to fall back asleep, angry about that inability and with a boner. The shore house is all but empty, and as a person who sleeps very little I can make myself scarce and quiet when I don’t want to wake others. After drinking 23 gallons of water I flipped on the tube, I knew it might be 2-3 hours before my two friends awoke, so I went to Comcast Free Movies On Demand. First screen…..nothing. Second screen, there it was, and I knew this was going to be a special movie watching week……Bad Boys. I really have nothing to say about this movie, it’s enjoyable, and I really like it, but something about it made me happy.

Wednesday morning, once again: early, anger, boner. I’m home now, in my own bed, I should be able to sleep longer, but I can’t. 9:00am I put in some laundry and turn on the TV. The Nanny Diaries? Barf! Its like I couldn’t afford to watch The Devil Wears Prada (guilty pleasure), so I watched this lame knock off. What will save this blah beginning to the day? And on the 8th day God created NETFLIX! State of Play and Duplicity back to back. I know this seems like a lot of movie watching…..and it is…..and that’s what I do, so put the gavel down Judge Reinhold. State of Play was interesting, I enjoy anything that involves journalism, not sure why they made Russell Crowe look like a vagabond though. Something else about me, I like me some BBC America, so I had already watched the British mini series of State of Play and it’s much better (as most British turns are). Duplicity was a lot of fun to watch, not amazing, but really well written. The dialogue was great, as to be expected from the man who wrote the masterpiece that is Michael Clayton. So I'm 2/3 for the day, 3/4 for the week.

Thursday I work (still throwing up in pants), come home, watch some TV and then tell roomie we should watch Danny Boyle’s Sunshine (at this point I'm like a movie crack addict, I just need one more taste, come on man). I have viewed this movie, 3-4 times, but it never ever ceases to amaze. Short plot summary, group of astronauts are headed to the sun to reignite it so that it doesn’t die and doom earth to freezing over and life ending forever. Sure, the acting is good, the writing is ok and the special effects are out of this world (haazaaa), but what is really amazing is, I’m not sure it ever got a theater release. This movie would be amazing on the big screen, but I don’t think it ever made it there. Poor Danny Boyle, make a great film about saving mankind and no one sees it, make a movie about kids swimming in poop, Oscar.

Friday I shit my pants at work when the power went out and had to go home and change them and just never went back (not actual scenario). What was I going to do with another day off this week? I had told Ladyface that they were playing Star Trek on the OMNIMAX at the giant heart place (The Franklin Institute). Ladyface agreed to come even though she had already seen it (that’s what makes a true friend a friend, that and willingness to give up a kidney or help you bury a body. Ill never tell Koey, ill never tell). Not sure if you have ever seen a movie in IMAX before, but it’s pretty overwhelming. Last summer I saw The Dark Knight at an IMAX and it took me 10 minutes to adjust so my stomach stopped flipping. Then I was disappointed when I saw Watchmen and Eagle Eye in IMAX Digital.

Side note – IMAX and IMAX Digital are two different things. If you go see something in IMAX then the screen will be huge and the resolution amazing. If you go see something in IMAX Digital, it’s not much different then seeing a regular movie. Don’t get ripped off.

That being said, OMNIMAX…well holy shit. It’s as big and as clear as IMAX, but the screen is actually set over your head and curves around to the left and right of you. This takes a lot of getting used to. Ladyface and I knew we just entered something awesome, or something horrible, right when we walked in. Uncomfortable seats and dizzying screen be damned, we were going to enjoy this.

Boom, it starts, it starts big and loud and fast (that’s what she said?). It does not help that JJ Abrams, the director, skipped steady cam class in film school (see MI:3, vomit). So I’m really trying to focus on the movie, one where you actually have to turn your head left and right to fully view, whilst trying not to throw up. It finally settles down and your mind and eyes get use to the chaos. Whew…..amazing. I was very upset when I thought I would not get to see Star Trek in the theaters, well now I’m happy I waited. OMNIMAX was amazing and Star Trek was amazing. If you have not had the pleasure, run, don’t walk to the Franklin Institute.

Ok almost done. I had work on Saturday so my Friday night was going to be spent at home. After seeing Ladyface off I started to check what was On Demand. First up, just like Bad Boys, Death Race. No real review of this movie, it’s crappy but fun and I like watching it. Second movie (dude, I watch a lot of fucking movies) was a re-watch of The Mist. I really liked this the first time I saw it (if you watch it, watch it in black and white, which is one of the features on the DVD), and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t incorrect in my opinion. Well I wasn’t, at all. Mini Spoiler Alert!!!! This movie scares me and the ending has now, twice, bothered me enough to stop me from sleeping. Some people might dislike the “monsters” in the movie, but I found them to be the least scary parts. It’s the panic, the mob mentality, the despair that makes me really like this film. If you have not watched it, it’s on Showtime On Demand.

So in order, see:

Star Trek
Sunshine
The Mist
Duplicity
State of Play
Bad Boys
Death Race

kill yourself

The Nanny Diaries.


Now you know what I mean when I say I'm a movie fan.

1 comment:

  1. Fun fact: In the past week, both flicks I have watched with you have had "sunshine" in the title. And I have not been disappointed by either. Except for the end of the Danny Boyle and that was more shear fright than disappointment. I'd rather swim in shit than have Burn Face chasing me around in my nightmares like that again. But then again, Cillian Murphy is a stone fox, so that makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete